How to Create Categories and Menu Bar?
In the previous step, you have learned the basic essential steps to configure new WordPress installation. In this step, you need to know secondary configuration details like how to create categories and Menu bar for WordPress blog.
After this, no matter what you are posting or sharing with your WordPress blog. But you want to learn the minimum basics on this WordPress blogging platform. No need to update regularly. That is Categories creation, Menu bar creation, Plugins installation and Theme installation.
For this, I will help you by providing simple tutorials and follow along guides below. If you have any problem, do not hesitate to contact me at any time.
How to Create Categories?
Categories are the most powerful tool to organize your content properly and as easily discoverable for users. This will help you to organize your posts quickly. You can create parent categories and child categories. The child categories will add into subcategories. Creation of Categories is a straightforward process.
Steps to Create Categories:
- To do this go to Posts>Categories section from main WordPress dashboard.
- In the next screen, go to the left side and click on the “Add New Category” option. This option helps you to create new kind of content.
- Enter the Category name in Name field and in slug (Slug is the web-friendly name helps to categorize pages for quick and easy searching and navigation).
- Add the description of the category in few words. It gives a better understanding of users
- Choose Parent option that suits the subcategory you made and then click on Add new category
- Repeat the same steps given above for new category creation. That’s it.
How to Create a Menu bar?
The menu bar is essential to navigate the content within the blog. There is a simple and easy way to use drag and drop menu interface. It allows you to create drop-down menus in WordPress. It helps you to present the site structure with your users. So the navigation menu is essential, and it is placed close to the header.
Create Menubar in step by step:
- To create a menu bar, go to Appearance > Menus from WordPress dashboard. It brings you to Edit menu screen.
- The Edit menu screen has two columns. The left column has your Pages, Custom links, Tags and Category tabs. On the right side columns, there is an adjustable menu item interface with drag and drop.
- Choose the Page or Category and put the tick mark on the desired page and click on Add to menu The page will be added to the right side interface.
- Finally, click on the Save menu to store the above setting.
- Now go for Manage Locations, and select the Primary menu and choose the menu which appears as the main menu and selects another menu in the Top menu or Secondary menu.
- Finally, save the whole menu settings.
- You can change the menu item you added is arranged in the order you added them. Simply drag and drop a menu item to adjust its position in the menu.